Sunday, October 3, 2010

Drunk, Part 2

I happen to like being me, and being around my friends, when drunk. My friends become relaxed and unafraid to say what they're really thinking.

All people have insecurities, no matter how confident they are in themselves or their purpose. What's most interesting to me is the things that people show about themselves when inebriated through the structure of what they say, rather than in the things they say specifically.


There is the one who expresses his dissonance between the relaxation caused by alcohol and the loss of rigid control that he proudly acquits himself with. If he could loosen up in his day-to-day life he wouldn't have such a rough time when blotto.


There's the one who can't express his emotions effectively but manages to crack open his shell to show his gooey-creamy centre; the bear who loves to love.


Someone less discreetly is the one who worries that their circle of friends would shrink significantly if not for their current relationship. The sheer joy that's expressed  upon reaffirmation of their friendships is something that could only happen when drunk.


I'm told that I'm largely the same when plastered, though the supposed "veneer of class" comes off and I words that I would normally not say get said; neither angrier, happier or more melancholic, only louder and more obnoxious. I tend to express my dissatisfaction with my current identity.


My friends aren't more fun to be around when they're drunk. I do get to know them better every time it happens though.

No comments:

Post a Comment