Sunday, October 3, 2010

Drunk, Part 1

I got a little inebriated last night. Not completely plastered, but a little toasty and otherwise relaxed. I probably would have enjoyed myself more had I not been the designated driver, but it was my turn and I do my fair share for my friends and family. 


It's been said that alcohol changes people; it makes them more violent, or depressed, or rape-happy. Guys transform addled, gorilla-like sex fiends, and girls becomed highly vulnerable targets for the aforementioned simians; we all know how women are equal to men - especially physically. Men regress to the level of Cro-Magnon man and women simply cease being rational at all apparently.


I don't buy it. Alcohol is an inebriant, depressant and intoxicant. It's not a miracle drug that can make all your dreams and nightmares a reality. It relaxes, it poisons and it lowers inhibitions. This means that it doesn't make you do things you would never do; it means that it increases the likelihood of you doing something you wouldn't normally do.


I think alcohol is more revealing of character than most people would like to admit. If they're angry, suicidal, horny or silent, the inebriation has shown what is on their minds. I'm fortunate to have friends who have no insecurities of this type.






I'm angry, I'm sad, I'm confident and I'm weak; no moreso drunk than sober.


If you want to convince me that alcohol changes people, show me a self-realised individual who is different drunk than when sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment