Friday, February 18, 2011

God isn't dead, he's just bored

The nature of God says that he's omniscient - he knows everything that can and will happen ever.

I've been thinking about this for a while and if God exists and is omniscient, he must be bored stupid. If you have freewill but cannot exercise it, you must feel completely trapped or entirely bored.

So I imagined for a moment that I knew everything and could do anything I wanted (except for throwing away my powers; making myself less than I am) the inevitable place I come to is one of desperation and futility. I know everything that could be, that is, that was. There is no imagination, no creativity to be had, and ultimately, nothing to do.
God was bored.

After creating all, there was nothing left to do. Sure he may have had some fun making the fjords, and definitely had himself a good laugh when he made the platypus, but what is there to do after that? The most fantastic idea then hit him: endow some of the more cunning monkeys with a freewill similiar to that of his own. Without the omnipotent and absolute powers of God, a magnificient experiment was born with wildly unpredictable outcomes: what would the simians do with their powers of reasoning?

I don't think God "knows" everything, in the sense that there is nothing left to experience. If man was truly created in God's image, it was done in order to allow God to experience life from another perspective.

And then something happened that God was not expecting; through knowledge of man he felt something that he could not have fathomed beforehand: wonder. The sublime pleasure of something truly transcendental whenever man looked to the stars or viewed an aurora.

Whether or not God gave mankind meaning to their lives, it seems to me that mankind was made to give meaning to God's. There's only so long that you can laugh at the discomfortiture of whales when they are harassed by packs of mischievous dolphins. It's a long time, but still, not forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment